Saturday, October 15, 2005

Whose Facts?

I can't live with future attorneys. I think my stress stems from the fact that we always argue. Not fight, but argue. We argue about stupid things that regular, non-law people wouldn't even talk about. The funniest thing is we often argue about politics, social issues, religion. Yes, it's very good exercise and healthy to get different perspectives, but when does it stop?

Divinci Code has become a phenomema in today's society. However, I find it disturbing when people make arguments and cite the Divinci Code as their source, as if it's the dictionary. I don't doubt that the book contains historical facts that the author studied. But how do we know a fact is a fact? Whose fact? If two people experience the same situation, they are both bound to have different interpretations, no? Even things like time and date are disputable to a certain degree. What scares me about this book is how it speaks of the Catholic faith in a very narrow perspective. For those who have not experienced the teachings for themselves and have obtained their "facts" from this book only have one angle to such a complicated and rich teaching.

I'm afraid I don't represent my faith well either. I'm probably one of only a few Catholics K and H know, and from their perspective, I must be such a poor reflection of a Catholic. I dont deny that I have my qualms about the faith, but I fear being judged as a person because of it.

I can't help thinking right now that it was a mistake to move in here. I am trying so hard to keep a positive perspective. I hope I can transfer.

No comments: