Wednesday, April 26, 2006

it's wednesday

It's Wednesday. I haven't yet finished my paper, but I have b een working really hard to get it done. I had an interview this morning. I think it went pretty well with the exception of one mistake I made. I told my interviewer that I don't enjoy IP law, I don't find writing shrinkwrap contracts all too exciting. Her response: "I love IP law. That's my niche, it's what I do. It's all I do." Nice, Stella. Smooth one. Right after the comment slipped out of my mouth, I realized what I had done. I just screwed up my chances, maybe not 100%, but I didn't cause a bit of damage. For the rest of the interview, I tried to make up for my mistake, explaining how I'm very interested in such and such types of law.

Lesson learned: Don't ever voluntarily say what fields of law you don't like unless asked. And even when asked, be careful. Very careful.

Live and learn. It's too bad because I really liked my interviewer. She was real. She told me how much she hates Orange County, how much she wishes she could go back to D.C., how she's not that interested in her work all the time. If I was interviewing her, she wouldn't have topped my list. Now that I think of it, she was quite negative. Poor thing. I can relate though, so no judging on my part.

I had lunch with a school acquaintance today, after I was sworn in for Honor Council. It was nice ending my 2nd year in law school with a new friend. All this time, I was so upset about the disappointing group of friends I lost in the beginning of the year. I never really took the time to realize that there are good people around me.

Well, I'll keep chugging. If any of you are in California and need of a summer law clerk, please let me know! Of course, I now realize this is not bound to happen, seeing that my emotions and personal problems are splattered all over the screen. Which reminds me, the Career Services Office sent out an email a few days ago, warning us not to maintain identifiable blogs. Makes sense. The notice said that it will surely inhibit our chances of finding or maintaining our jobs if employers should happen to find out certain information through the blog.

It's a scary world, this blogosphere. I sometimes forget that people read this. I write so that it will help me get through life's bumps and help other's realize their not alone. It's a shame that honesty leads to judgment. But hey, we're only human.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, people do read blogs, even when you don't realize it. I have once commented on your blog before and I am not sure if you have read my response. It's funny you should mention your school's warning about blogs. Two of the reasons why I don't like to use my name or run my own blog are 1) I like anonymity and 2) I don't want it to be a poor reflection on my professional career/life. But I enjoy reading your blog as I can relate with the odd world that is law school. I am one last final (Torts) away from being officially finished with my 1L year. I'm in push mode too. Good luck finishing up that paper!