Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Argument

So it's been a pretty nice week, and another's beginning. Danny came for the weekend, and I finally got to run all those errands that I hate doing alone. My room is set, I have all my furniture. Living with A has been fun. We get along so well, and it's nice to share things with someone who understands me. I came home on Friday because my mom asked me to, and I'm home again today only because the Monday morning commute from my apt is horrific. My dad is still annoying as ever, but I'm better at handling the mess he throws at me. I don't dodge it too well, but I like to think of myself as an indestructable wall of sorts.

In Criminal Procedure last Thursday, my professor posed a question regarding the loss of privacy with all the new laws passed. Some judges argued that Americans really don't have a good reason to complain about the loss of privacy because we're out here, putting our lives for the world to read about. With the rise of technology and information-sharing, Americans put themselves out there through cell phones, myspace, friendster, blogs, match websites, etc. The argument is, if most of us don't have a problem with sharing out personal lives with strangers, then why should we complain about the government learning about our personal lives?

I thought about this as I scanned some blogs. A women had posted pictures of her new house. I don't think it's the smartest thing to do... I'm not one for putting up pictures of myself or my life. I like to think I'm keeping some parts of my life anonymous. I refer to people by the first letter of their first name, for the most part. I did get rid of both my myspace and friendster accounts. The thought of people searching for me freaked me out a bit. This idea of blogging is a but surreal... With one click, I can instantly enter someone's world and learn about so many aspects of their life.

So why do I do it? I guess I like knowing that people are connected, even if it's through a comment of support.

In response to the argument - Just because I gave you a dollar doesn't mean you can steal $500.

No comments: