When I was young, I used to tell my dad that I would become the president one day. He would smile, but never really encouraged me. Then, one day I realized I was Asian. That changed everything.
It's funny how when you're a kid, nothing seems to matter. Kids don't see colors or sizes. Kids don't ask how much money you make or what law school you graduated from. Above all. kids take a fall and get right back up again. As a kid, I must have fallen down and scraped something hundreds of times, but it never stopped me from doing things. I was accident prone...very accident prone. Seriously, I no of no other person who has been in an ambulence as many times as me. I've broken many bones, had many many x-rays taken. Still, nothing stopped me from climbing the monkey bars, riding my bike too fast, or jumping off things too high up.
And then one day, reality set in. Reality is actually a very harsh thing. It gives you no time to pause and take it slow. More than anything, reality sets limitations. It's what happens when all the lighting is removed, the setting is taken down, and the applause stops.
No comments:
Post a Comment