I'm irritated. I'm irritated by the people who have criticized James Kim's actions. Yes, he made mistakes. Perhaps Kati Kim has sat up during the nights, wondering "what if" over and over. Yes, he should have turned back, but he didn't. For those who have criticized his actions and concluded that Mr. Kim was nothing but a man who made a series of wrong decisions, I have one comment: How many times have we all made mistakes? Recall those times that you did something so incredibly stupid and got so very incredibly lucky. I have a whole closet full of my own.
Point is, just because he made mistakes does not take away the fact that the man trekked in the snow for his family, to save his little girls and his wife. In hindsight, we all could say, I would've never done that. How do we know unless we are actually in that situation? I mean, it's amazing I'm alive today after the many stupid things I've done. I've been in an ambulance way too many times to count, and trust me, I've taken full advantage of my medical coverage. I've been through enough "recoveries," from walking on crutches to re-learning to walk all over again after not feeling my legs for two weeks.
So in my book, James Kim is still a man to be admired. He was witty. His Crave shows made me chuckle. I'm still not over the sorrow of his story. The newspaper reported that the family was planning a public service in January (they had a private funeral this past weekend).
I don't think I mentioned this, but I realized why I found this story so heartbreaking. His was a life I strive to have. After law school, I plan on moving back to San Francisco, getting married, having my 4 children someday (2 girls and 2 boys), and opening up a chain of restaurants. Danny will continue working in the tech field, I'll be the entrepreneur. I picture my future in my mind, and what I see is what James Kim had. His tragedy made me realize that it can all disappear in a blink of an eye. How do you prevent the unpreventable? How do you prepare for something you don't see coming? Impossible.
I believe a person can create their future, but I also have to believe that at some point, someone or something else is holding the ropes.
No comments:
Post a Comment