Friday, June 06, 2008

Fried Chicken

If the saying, you are what you eat, is true, I've become a greasy fried chicken. The kind that has bad news written all over it, but you eat it anyway....with a cold glass of beer...and mac and cheese...and corn...and chili beans. All bad (but oh so good).

I came back from Vegas and I've been feeling greasy and lazy. I'm flying to LA tonight, still haven't packed. I have about five jobs to apply to, haven't applied. I have to really get crackin on those wedding invitations I said I was going to make all by myself, haven't started.

I need a good slap in the face.

I went downtown yesterday for an interview for an associate position with a hiring agency. Turns out, the position is filled (of course), but I was interviewed for other position permanent positions. I asked about the market for someone in my shoes. The news went from bad to straight ugly.

The interviewer said it pretty much sucks for people like me that went to school outside of San Francisco. San Francisco firms prefer to hire students from their schools. Then, to top it all off, he said on average, the new attorney needs to go through 17 interviews before getting hired for a job. Seventeen!

I'm kinda wishing I didn't decline that first job offer...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on passing the bar - I really hope you are able to find a job soon - you deserve it!

Question about studying - do you think it is necessary to read the BarBri Conviser outline or is focusing on lecture notes sufficient?

Anonymous said...

OY! I know the news is bad for us, but 17 interviews? Yeesh! I feel like we'd be *lucky* to get that many.... SF firms need to get over themselves and see that we ALL deserve a chance and, after all, isn't SF all about diversity?!? Think how we "outsiders" would liven things up among all the Hastings, USF and Boalt grads!! :) Good luck!!

stella said...

Anon - I honestly never read Conviser cover to cover, but I did refer to it on many, many occasions to figure things out in depth. Do you need it by your side? Yes.

BarBri says lecture notes suffice, but in July 2007, the Bar exam had a question about goodwill. If you look at BarBri's given notes on goodwill, there was about 1 or 2 sentences. In the outlines, my friends and I had written "rarely tested," as the lecturer stated. So, of course, BarBri can't know everything.

What is actually more helpful if you aren't as strong in an area of law is the BarBri full outlines. I referred to those quite a few times as well. Conviser will just repeat what the lecture gives, but the big outline books will go in detail.

Hope that helped! Good luck!