It's become quite clear now that I'm married, people expect me to get pregnant soon. I love kids, but children are not a part of my 2009 plans...or my 2010 plans. Getting pregnant seems like it's become a hobby, like buying shoes. I'm not sure if it's due to the cold winter weather, but everyone around me seems to be making babies these days.
In the last month, four of our friends announced they're pregnant. Four. That's four baby showers to attend, four birth presents to buy, four little people who will need Christmas and Birthday presents every year. All the more reason for me to find a job.
Just last night, I thought to myself how I should really hit up a club again. It's been too long since I've painted the town red. My friends used to stay out 'til 3am, grab a pizza by the slice in North Beach, turn on a chic flick and pass out on the sofa. When did I become such an old maid?
Another sore reminder - A new pledge from my undergrad sorority emailed me recently to ask a few questions. She told me she was born in 1990. 1990! In 1990, I was watching Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Beverly Hills, 90210. I keep forgetting how old I am...but those were some good times.
The worst thing is when new mothers ask when I'm going to join the club. I am now out-numbered, but definitely not giving in anytime soon. I keep reminding myself, there's no rush. I have the rest of my life to be a mom. But it sure as heck sucks to realize my clubbing buddies are now an endangered species.
2 comments:
Not sure how old you are, but take it from me don't wait too long. I started trying at 36 and 4.5 years later still babyless despite many thousands and lots of procedures. Sure you will hear of people who get pregnant in late 30s/early 40s but those are the EXCEPTIONS. My 2 cents.
Wait! Wait as long as you want. Things eventually work themselves out. And after the last baby shower, I vowed to be busy but send a nice gift to every other baby shower for the rest of my damn life. I like giving the gift, but having to sit there for three hours while everyone oohs and ahs and talks baby talk is exhausting with no liquor (and I have two kids that I adore). Plus the new mom always seems to have a house straight out of Pottery Barn and it just makes me feel so inadequate that it's just not worth the emotional turmoil that results. (Not to take away from any other women's issues with getting pregnant- that's horrible and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.) But we all have our own issues. Getting pregnant, getting a job, getting the damn bar card... it's just the man keeping us down.
Post a Comment