Tuesday, January 25, 2011

sign of the times

It's a new year, and I have avoided this blog as though it was the plague. At first, it was intentional. Months later, I lost track of time and well...you know how it goes.

In my mission to reinvent myself, I can proudly announce a few milestones. First, I've somehow maintained to work at the same firm for over a year. Although, it was and still is a contract position, the topic of being hired as a full-time associate has come up several times. This position has somehow given me opportunities I never thought was possible. Since I last posted, I've second-chaired a multi-million dollar case in federal court, advised corporate clients on their options after dysfunctional people took over, assisted in a complex case with all sorts of cross and co parties (imagine arrows flying everywhere on your civ pro Bar outline), and finally managed to build some confidence while doing it. I have a very "can-do" attitude now. I went from knowing nothing -- and I mean nothing -- about all of these areas of law to believing that everything can be learned. No one knows everything. Not even the judge.

Second, I have also lost 20 pounds. Twenty. I didn't realize how big I was until I started shrinking. I hate the word fat. It's an ugly word. Call it denial, but I still don't think I was fat. I was just bigger.

The work is not over. I'm still trying to lose 10 more of those l.b.ses and the new year has kicked me in the rear end. I need change once again. So I'm back at it , back to looking for a job and hopefully starting a real career. People keep telling me the market is better now, firms are hiring. It's good news all around. Somehow, the reality of what I'm seeing doesn't seem to agree. My big firm brother had the [fill in the blank] to tell me that times are good now, his Big Firm was hiring, proven by the 8 associates they hired. EIGHT. My partner told me the court had an opening for an admin spot. The court received 6,000 resumes...for one single admin position.

I'll finish by saying this: I realize I'm in a good position. I have work, I make money, and now I' able to look for a job without worrying about how to pay the bills. Don't get me wrong...I say a prayer every morning as I'm walking to work. I literally thank God for my job. I won't forget where I was a year ago and particularly May 2009.

If the market has improved, as people have been saying, then why are top law schools advising students on how to find contract positions? Exhibit 1: UC Hasting Post-Grad Hourly Legal Work. A sign of the times...

No comments: