So today was the finale of America's Next Top Model, a must-see show on my list. The last two finalists were Nik and Nicole, black and white. I, however, didn't see it that way, but A did. I poke fun of A, and tell her that she's "black-washed." (Yes, I know. It's a sensitive statement to make. I can see how some will have issues with my statement, but just know that it's all in good humor...) She's your ghetto-fab Pakistani from the hood. She doesn't deny this, but I'm sure she would have a heart attack if she knew I was writing this on a public blog about her.
So on the show, Nicole, the white girl ended up winning. I personally think, if you compare their talents, she deserved to win. Well, at the end of the show, A was quite annoyed and proclaimed the only reason that Nicole won was because she was white. Since the show already picked a black girl two seasons ago, they had to pick a white girl. I firmly stated, "Don't pull the race card. I hate that shit."
Now, don't get me wrong. I'm a racial minority myself and have been through numerous racist incidents. I see racial discrimination with my own eyes often, and I understand because I've lived it. Racial discrimination exists everywhere - at school, at work, on TV. But I hate it, absolutely dispise when people pull out the race card when they didn't get their way.
I believe a large number of racial discrimination claims are true. I also believe many are not. While discrimination exists, people who claim that is exists in places where it doesn't only make the real problem seem trivial and dubious. It's like crying out wolf when there is no wolf. Such people often challenge society to "look beyond the color lines" when they, themselves are drawing lines everywhere. It frustrates me when minorities play victim when there's been no injustice done. Again, that's not to say injustice never occurs or always occurs.
Did America's Next Top Model win because she was white? I honestly don't think so, but I could be wrong. I believe Nicole was the better contender in the end, whether she was white, black, purple, or green.
No comments:
Post a Comment