Wednesday, June 28, 2006

and so it is...

I thought about calling it a day. I reluctantly opened up my laptop after shutting down, realizing there was just too much to discuss before calling it a day. Much can happen in 9 days. In 9 days, I managed to finally land a real job, as my parents would like to think, in a real office, with a real salary, working with real attorneys. I think my parents are relieved that the loser child has finally managed to do something with her summer.

I came home two weeks ago for an interview with an insurance company. Last week, I found out I got the job. I went back up for 5 days, for my friend's baby shower. It was absolutely wonderful. Everything went perfectly as planned. I spend alot of time...alot of time making the favors, the scrapbook, buying the necessary things. It all paid off. It was so much fun spending time with the gals again. I realize, I keep looking for friends, but I already had 4 really good ones. Yes, they each have their flaws, but who doesn't at this point. And if they can love me still, that's true friendship for me. Really, the shower was fabulous. Unforgettable. Why, what's so great about a baby shower, you ask? The people.

So I wrapped up my 1 1/2 vacation with a bang. God made it that way, I suppose. And I just started my new job. It's a little slow, a little depressing, but stressful and scary at the same time. I was hired as a law clerk for the attorney who handles all of the larger federal cases. Exciting for me, I needed to learn about the federal court system hands-on. Cons - the attorney I work with is, well...an ass, or so I hear. So far, he's been okay. Seriously, the minute I walked into work, everyone was warning me about him, telling me their doors were open if I ever needed to vent. I needed to brace myself, but I didn't know why. Even at the damn interview, the interviewers were warning me about him! [Note to interviewers - do not warn the interviewee about your prick of a co-worker, no matter how bad he/she may be.] They said he was "a character," with a military background, as they gave each other the look. They said he's demanding and different. I sat there, at the interview, wondering why the heck are they saying all these horrible things? I wasn't even hired yet!

So obviously, I really didn't want the job that badly. And as it turns out, because sometimes I think God likes to fuck with me, I got the job. I now get to work on these cases where I know I'll learn so much, but the thought of working for an asshole attorney is really bringing me down. Yesterday, he called me at 4:30pm, 30 mins before I was supposed to leave, and gave me 2 assignments. I ended up staying until 5:30 on my first day of work. Today, he asked what I was working on, and I showed him. Exactly what he asked me to do yesterday. He said, "No, no, no. Why are you doing that?! Don't waste your time, don't shepardize International Shoe!" Well DUHHHHHHHH! BUT YOU TOLD ME TO! It's like a Nazi game - let's see what stupid things people will do when told to by an authority. It was my very first day! Of course I'm gonna do what I'm told to!

[Dammit. I hate falling into the asian myth. I am not a docile, little Asian girl who does everything I'm told. Really. I'm not.]

Well, as it turns out, he told me I was doing something I wasn't supposed to. Into the trash it went. He then quizzed me on my intellectual property law and trademark knowledge. I have none! So needless to say, I was embarassed. Whatever.

What did I really learn today? The guy has yet to earn my respect. We're representing a stupid client who did a stupid thing. Defense. I hate defense work. It's too hard, and I'm better at charging (better known as blaming) than defending! However, he has yet to prove to me, the little insignificant law clerk, that he's a good defense attorney. The guy filed a 12b(2) motion, for god's sake! He argued the district court had no personal jurisdiction when there clearly was! Okay, good practice for me. I gotta somehow prove to myself that the attorney was right. So far, nothing.

I've finally made it to the 8-5 world. Am I happy? No. Definitely not. Am I unhappy? Eh. It could be worse. At least I'm making money, which I'll blow on Myra's extravagant bachelorette party next weekend (another long ass story), which I really don't want to do.

I really enjoyed my month and a half off. What I really learned this summer, so far - I love my sister and brother-in-law alot. They make me laugh. I love my danny. He makes me happy just thinking about him. And darn it, I love my dog.

And so it is, folks. Vacation is officially over.

No comments: