Thursday, September 27, 2007

murphy's law

Now that I'm all pumped up and ready to apply to jobs, there's nothing available for my specific field of law. Even better, most of the places I'm looking into for the wedding reception are all booked for the entire year!

I'm screwed. I waited too long for both. I have no one to blame but myself.

Why can't laziness be a type of disease like several other "diseases" that I really don't think should be considered diseases. Dictionary.com defines disease as "a disordered or incorrectly functioning organ, part, structure, or system of the body resulting from the effect of genetic or developmental errors, infection, poisons, nutritional deficiency or imbalance, toxicity, or unfavorable environmental factors; illness; sickness; ailment." If alcoholism and drug addiction qualifies as a "disease," then, by all means, laziness should too.

My brain was th disordered or incorrectly functioning organ resultikng from unfavorable environmental factors, those being a HD TV, Dish satellite, On Demand, and a sofa. I see these factors as unfavorable because of their uncontrollable power over the average law school graduate, post-Bar exam. They are toxic, dammit.

And when did alcoholism become a disease? I have no sympathy for alcoholics who were not genetically born so. I think people make choices and decisions that can clearly prevent alcoholism. The fact that there is a choice makes it a non-disease to me. The alcoholic could have chosen not to take the next drink. To label it a disease implies that the person had no power or control, ever.

No doubt, alcoholics and drug addicts have problems that need to cured. But I just don't see how addictions can be diseases. The woman who is addicted to buying expensive shoes does not necessarily have a disease. She has what we call a "disorder." I wouldn't be surprised if a man decided to call alcoholism a disease... [I'll stop myself before I get into my hate-men bits...]

Well, I've done it. I've officially entered my formal job search, and like I anticipated, it's already a bust. With no jobs out on the market, how likely is it that I'll be working in October?

No - I need to change that thinking. I watched The Secret and bought the book. Even if the idea of it is wishful thinking, trying never hurt anyone.

No comments: