Sunday, January 27, 2008

Ouch Encounter

Coincidences scare me. Just the other day, I had typed in E's name into the Cal Bar website to find out she passed. Oddly enough, yesterday I ran into E at a very small, local, corner market in the city. It was so very random because she was in LA last time I saw her. I don't expect to run into people from LA, especially in tiny markets in San Francisco. Yet, there she was.

When I saw E from a distance, I wanted to hide under a rock for a couple reasons. 1) I'm still embarrassed that I didn't pass, and 2) I didn't want to endure an uncomfortable conversation...which happened anyway.

First, she gave me the look and a hug. E told me I shouldn't feel bad about not passing because B.L. didn't pass either. I thought, okay. She just wants to make me feel better. That's cool.

[Side note: B.L. was the guy who slouched in his seat and had a cocky look on his face for three years straight. Yeah, you know that guy. Every school has one. He had a smug answer for every question. So yes, it did make me feel a little better to learn he didn't pass. I'm so bad, I realize this. But in my defense, I would never wish Round Deux upon anyone.]

The best part of our awkward run-in was when E asked what I was doing to these days. Seriously? I spelled it out for her, "I-am-studying-for-the-Bar----again."

And then she asked...brace yourself, "When is the Bar, anyways? Soon?" That was salt on my wound. It must be nice to be a veteran.

I licked my wounds on my way back home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats a good reminder to be kind to our fellow repeaters after we pass.... It won't be long now. There is life after the bar. I am looking forward to when I don't think of events in relation to the time line of the bar or results.

L said...

Wow! You seemed to have handled that situation well.
I would have thrown some subtle back-handed "compliments" at her.

Well... I don't know what is worse ... getting the "look" or being treated liked a leper...unfortunately, most of my "friends" have adopted the latter approach.