I walked into that same drab auditorium where I took my Bar exam and listened to one speech after another. This is what I came out with:
- To be admitted, there is a $200 fee for the remainder of this year
- To be admitted into federal court, you have to pay $210
- To be admitted to appeals court, there is a $190 fee
- Be careful about your ethics. You're undoubtedly going to screw up somewhere down the line
- Pro-bono, pro-bono, pro-bono - Do it.
My response:
- I'm broke
- I have no money
- I'm in massive debt
- Thank you for having faith in me
- I'm broke, I have no money, and I'm in massive debt.
It's not that I don't believe in pro-bono work. I completely understand the importance and hope to contribute...one day. It's just that, yesterday, today, and tomorrow, that will be the last thing that crosses my mind, the last thing (if at all) on my to-do list. Yes, I know. It's apparently on my mind now, but how can I afford to work for free if I don't have work for pay?
I was just a bit irritated that the judges kept mentioning the same couple points over and over, but no one addressed the bigger, more immediate problems we face as new attorneys.
Now that I'm in the club, I feel, along the way, I lost all the reasons I wanted to join. My search for the perfect job has become a hunt for any job.
It's funny. Just when I thought the fight was over, a new one has begun. It's Stella vs. The Job Market!
5 comments:
apparently we keep missing each other at all these bar "events" :) I, too, was at that same ceremony yesterday and I, too, was perplexed by that same paradox of the legal field - the various bars cost you a TON of money, but they ask you to please please please work for free! uh, yeah - for us newbie attorneys, it doesn't work like that. Know that you are *not* alone in looking for a job and feeling the frustrations...
Perhaps some pro bono experience (maybe part-time) will boost your resume so you can actually get a paying job. Also, from my experience, you can make some great contacts doing pro bono work which can also help you get a job. Just an idea...I mean, if you are not working, why not get some valuable experience to add to your resume and help some people too!
Anon - Yes I did think about that and it is something I am considering. Thank you for the tip!
Stella,
Congrats on being sworn in! now you can focus on the important thing- just being a beautiful bride :)
Congrats!!!
My mentor told me exactly what to expect from the ceremony, which is exactly why i opted out.
Post a Comment